As we continue our journey through 2018, we’re keeping an eye on the host of trending public relations (PR) possibilities that will help small businesses continue to thrive.
If we take the time to think about how recent history has affected public relations for small businesses as recently as 2017, we’ll see that many of the platforms that many were excited about have been left to struggle under the dominance of LinkedIn and Twitter. There are, however, some of the 2018 trends that have injected themselves and now seem to be here to stay awhile.
Here are some ideas that small business thought leaders might consider implementing that will help put your brand on the map:
Begin A Conversation:
If you and your employees consider yourselves thought leaders, then you must own your conversations. Fear not when it comes to sharing your opinions and ideas. Stand firm; your readers want diversity in discussions, not the same old song and dance.
Be Consistent with Your Content Creation:
- If you consistently provide content, you will soon find that your clients/customers will see that you are dependable and will begin to return to your site frequently for the opportunity to study your insights, views, and expertise in your industry. They will also look forward to communicating with you.
- Be sure to promote and publish content through social media and public events. Enhancing your social media and community image will strengthen your PR strategy. Remember, however, content creation is meant to be meaningful and helpful. Keep the promotion of any products or company brand out of your content.
Remain Humble and Generous with Your Content:
- Do your best to remain open and generous so that your audience will have the ability to access some of your expert advice on the content you’re offering. Avoid profound restrictions with your offerings.
- Take some advice from Michael Brenner, CEO and thought leader with Marketing Insider Group. Brenner’s philosophy is that it’s vital to “give to get.” Brenner states that content success comes with encouraging audience members to consider becoming ” an authority on relevant topics by delivering the answers to the biggest questions on the minds of your target audience.”
Provide Personal Elements to Your Content:
Thought leaders should express their human side. Most of us generally respond well intellectually as well as emotionally. Perhaps consider highlighting team members or others who use their products and or services to assist in solving real-life issues. While presenting a personal side to your content, consider making this aspect your main focal point.
Enhance Your SEO:
Use every possible SEO tactic possible. Remain current with Google’s algorithms by using well-chosen backlinks, keywords, and mentions.
Be Certain to Remain Vigilant in Maintaining Your Online Reputation:
- As a thought leader, it is critical that you are not passive about how you monitor your reputation online. This monitoring accomplishes control of any negative comments that may arise. Maintain a constant interaction with your audience by way of social media and should any negative issues present themselves, act rapidly to resolve the problem to ensure the satisfaction of your readers, clients/customers.
- Help solve problems along the way. There isn’t an industry in existence that doesn’t experience problem that will often prevent progress. As a thought leader, if you are in a position to offer new ideas, this can make a world of difference to the status of your thought leadership and your PR abilities.
Consider Collaborating with Others on Projects:
If you would like to enhance the power of your thought leadership position from a PR standpoint, think about combining your name with an executive of a higher profile status in your industry. With the addition of your collaborator’s views, this angle is likely to increase the value of your content not to mention the possibility of providing a position for you before a whole new audience.
Remain Accessible to All:
- If you want to open doors for new thought leadership PR possibilities, leave yourself open to various bloggers, journalists, even event coordinators in your respective industry. You may genuinely enhance your leadership by effectively nurturing your relationships with the press. This nurturing will provide ample opportunity over time to share your expertise with a much larger group of readers.
- As a thought leader, you should always take the time to be visible to your public. Take the time to make yourself present at community and speaking events. There’s no better way to increase your leadership development and impact.
These are just a few suggestions that we have to assist you in the enhancement of your small business PR goals. You must keep in mind that implementing thought leadership PR strategies will require some thoughtful planning, patience and time. However, as time progresses, you will begin to see the improvement you desire placing your business on a positive path to success.
If you have other public relations ideas that have made a difference in your small business, we would love to hear from you.
At Cogent Analytics, we never stop looking for ways to improve your business and neither should you. So, check out some of our other posts for helpful business information: